Analyze and store logs
In Linux systems, the log files are chosen from a location which provides every log information you must know.
1. /var/log/messages - It contains system messages that are logged at system startup time. There are many things that logged messages located at /var/log/messages like mail, cron, daemon, kern, etc.
2. /var/log/dmesg - It contains the information that uses the kernel ring buffer.
3. /var/log/auth.log - It contains system authorization information like user logins and mechanism of authentication.
4. /var/log/boot.log - It contains information that are logged when the system boots.
5. /var/log/daemon.log - It contains information when a daemon runs on the system.
6. /var/log/dpkg.log - It contains information when package is installed or removed by using dpkg command.
7. /var/log/kern.log - It contains information logged by kernel.
8. /var/log/lastlog - It displays the login information for recent users. View the content of the file by lastlog command.
9. /var/log/maillog/var/log/mail.log - It contains the log information from the mail server running on the system.
10. /var/log/user.log - It contains information about all user logs.
11. /var/log/Xorg.x.org - Log messages from the Xorg.
12. /var/log/alternatives.log – Updates alternative information of login to this log file.
13. /var/log/btmp - This file contains information about failed login attempts.
14. /var/log/cups - It contains printing related log messages.
15. /var/log/anaconda.log - Installation related messages are stored in this log file linux is installed
16. /var/log/yum.log - It contains information about yum command.
17. /var/log/cron - When cron daemon starts a cron job, it contains cron job information.
18. /var/log/secure - It contains information related to authentication privileges. It includes unsuccessful login.
19. /var/log/wtmp/ - It contains login records through which log in to systems are determined.
20. /var/log/faillog - It contains failed login attempts. Faillog command displays the content of this file.
Various Log Files that located under /var/log Directory